Snowdrops are one of the most lovely woodland flowers. They’re beautiful spreading in white endless carpets making our walks in woods so much more enjoyable. I love how rich green shades of their leaves bring forward white delicacy of flowers. It’s amazing colour combination that is easy to replicate in silk ribbon embroidery. There’s only one stitch needed to create real-looking flowers. It’s a straight stitch with 7mm (1/4 inch) wide silk ribbon for petals and 4mm (1/8 inch) wide one for leaves. Follow this easy tutorial to embroider a bunch of those beautiful flowers.
To stitch flowers like these, you’ll need:
- Two pieces of cotton fabric. You might like to paint a background on one of them with watercolour paints like I did.
- Six-strand embroidery floss in green
- 4mm wide Dark Spring Green and Avocado Green hand-dyed silk ribbon, one three meter-long skein of each
- 7mm wide White silk ribbon, one three meter-long skein
- Embroidery needle to stitch with floss and a chenille (size 18) needle to stitch with ribbon
- Embroidery hoop
- HB pencil to transfer a pattern onto fabric